Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Dr. Oz and the Waist to Hip Ratio

I did a lot research at the beginning of my diet so that I would know how to measure myself against healthy statistics. There is my ideal weight according to my height and build (148 lbs) and suggested BMI for my age and height to measure against, but I wanted to know what Dr. Oz thought. I have watched his show in the past and read some of his books and he seems to make a whole lot of sense so I did research on how he thinks we should measure our health. In his opinion, it all comes down to our waist measurement. He says that as a general rule, a persons waist should be smaller than their height in inches divided by 2. So when I started the diet, I did the calculation. I am 5'5" so I took 65/2 to be my limit for a healthy waistline. My waist was supposed to be smaller than 32.5"! At the time this was very very depressing because mine was very yucky when I started the diet at 40 .5". My waist was at least eight inches too large. Eight inches is a lot!!! It seemed impossible to me that in a mere 6 weeks I could whittle all that extra down. Guess What?!?!?! My waist measurement is now 32" and still shrinking. I am so very proud of myself I can't stand it. When I realized that this morning I pulled my ruler out of my desk drawer and looked at 8 inches and was almost in tears. I still have a ways to go, but I think I can get used to this loving myself (just a little) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS