Thursday, July 2, 2015

Stitch Fix #13 and #14 and Body Image stuff

Can I please just start with a review of my 14th fix.  When there is good news and bad news, I sort of always like to hear the bad news first.  So, I don't have any pictures of my 14th fix.  I was too depressed and down on myself to even bother to take pictures of them.  Just a friendly little reminder that if you have ever had body issues, you never fully get rid of them.  One really tight fit can make you feel bad about yourself if you aren't careful, and then it seems like you are sliding back into the abyss of self deprication.  Then, you feel guilty because you did that.  I have said this before, but since having my daughter I have really wanted her have a healthy happy body image and not be completely screwed up by the fact that I never had one.

I have been through hell and high water with this body.  We have battled rheumatoid arthritis when I was young.  I have stretched it and shrunk it, poked it and beat it up.  I have pushed it to its very limits going through IVF, and it has given me two beautiful babies.  When I really think about it, I could do nothing but LOVE this body for all that it has been able to do.  So it really makes me mad when I start to not like it. This is one of the very best moments with my body and I.  I weighed the most I ever have in my entire life, my blood pressure had skyrocketed and I couldn't stop shaking, but I had never been so thankful to my body and to God.


So you gotta be careful with the slippery slope.  I have requested and commented about my "problem" areas, that aren't exactly problems.  In fact, that I call them that pisses me off.  Nevertheless, they are areas that make certain types of clothes impossible to wear comfortably.  I think I have pinpointed those areas and I have tried to share this with my stylists.  Most get it, some don't.  For example....if the sizes are like junior sizes, they aren't going to fit!  Sorry/not sorry, I have breast fed two children with these boobs and they don't fit in those things, especially if there isn't any stretch to the material.  Also, my floppy muffin top can't work on top of low waisted jeans or tight skirts, but I also can't do the high-waisted either (just google Jessica Simpson high waist jeans and see what pops up).  These are things that I shouldn't feel bad about, just things to consider when buying clothes.

Well this fix was just terrible in those departments.  The tops were pretty, but when I put them on they had no stretch, and they were too tight under the arms and around my chest.  Then there was a maxi skirt that was beautiful, but was tight around the waist and then at the hip.  Definitely not a good look for me.  I could say none of this was the stylists' fault but I had specifically pointed out these things in the past.  The downward spiral about my body image was all my fault after that.  So....Good thing I have pictures of past fixes to remind me that my body IS beautiful for what it has done in this life, and with the right clothes I can feel like it is pretty too.  Which takes me back to Fix #13

This fix was spectacular.  From the moment I opened the box and saw all the beautiful colors, I had such great hopes and I wasn't let down.

I also think I was just having a good hair day. Ha!  So I actually loved a little bit of all of these.  The first shirt was awesome - fit great and has great colors.  The only slight negative about the top I can say now, after owning it for about a month, is that the material seems to be pilling a bit.  Granted, I throw everything in the laundry.  Hand wash and dry clean?  Ain't nobody got time fo dat!  I probably at the very least shouldn't be drying it but either way, I still love it.


The grey shirt, I love!  I love the lace detail overlay on top of a super soft comfy t-shirt.  I don't wear it that often, but I think its because I am afraid that the lace will get stuck on anything (including my 18 month old daughters chubby little baby fingers).
The third shirt I sent back, although I was torn - as was the shirt.  There was a hole in the seam, so I would have sent it back either way.  And I can't really explain this, but it felt like a hair dresser's smock.  The color was great though, it doesn't come through in the pictures but it was mint with tiny coral polka dots (the color scheme of Ellie Bug's nursery), so I really wanted to love it.
I normally don't care for a whole lot of flowy billowy type of shirts (even though they are super comfortable), but I really liked this one.  The colors are just beautiful and different.

And then there was the dress...I loved this dress.  Would have been perfect for Sundays.  The chambray was perfect, the cut was perfect, even the little cottony detail was perfect...except I couldn't move the zipper....not even a little bit.  You should have seen me try though!  I did everything I could but it was just too little.  I was so sad to see that one go back, but it had to.  I even looked to see if there was any extra material in the hemming so I could let it out, that's how much I liked it.  Oh well, you win, you lose some.

All in all, I felt good about this fix.  I felt pretty and that the stylist "got" me, with the styles.  Plus, did I say I was having a good hair day?  :)


1 comment:

  1. I could have written your description below!! I also had a baby by IVF and constantly remind myself what this body has done. Anyways, you look great in the pictures. You're beautiful inside and out!

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS