Wednesday, April 8, 2015

An Easter To Remember and ISR



Growing up in the Baptist Church, Easter has always been a time of reflection for me.  It’s a time when we remind ourselves of the horrors of the crucifixion of Christ and the fully restorative resurrection and forgiveness of our sins.  This Easter felt different, since we have a three year old, the Easter Bunny talk was big, and the weekend was filled with festivities.

Friday I spent trying to do the Easter Bunny shopping at Target with my kids.  Why would I put myself through that?  Because sometimes I am a poor planner, which left me with two kids in tow.  I knew it would be rough when the whiniest “I want candy” started before we ever hit the candy isle.  I do have to say that I was impressed with my toddler distraction skills, and was able to fill the cart with Isaac’s Easter goodies (while he ate candy that I had not yet paid for).  Desperate times call for desperate measures.  We spent the rest of the day playing outside until we were yellow from the pollen (poison as Isaac calls it).  It was a good day.

We had a wedding to attend Saturday night so the kids were staying with the gparents and we needed the Easter Bunny to visit a little early.  So, Saturday morning we had so much fun opening our Easter baskets.  After, we headed to our church to check out their Easter Egg Hunt.  They had dumped 1,000 Easter Eggs in the middle of the gym floor for the toddlers to “hunt” and we could barely hold our two back from charging the front line.  But, of course, when Isaac did reach the Easter eggs, he refused to pick any up that weren’t the color red….well, needless to say, he ended up with a few eggs that I put in his basket.  That’s my threenager.  After the kids got all sugared up, we went home and played until their grandma came to get them.  

Don and I had a great, dancing all night, type of time at the wedding on Saturday.  We were kind of dragging on Sunday morning, but missed the kiddos.  I called to check on them.  Isaac was on meltdown number two.  The first was that he didn’t want to wear the ADORABLE shirt and bow tie I got him and the next was because he had stubbed his toe.  Mom said she thought he was a little homesick.  Well, that was a first for us.  Normally, he is depressed to leave his grandparents house, so it felt a little nice to be wanted a little.

I spent the Easter church service thinking about all I had to be thankful for and for the awesome weekend we had.  The kids had made Easter such a fun experience and I was grateful for that.  I couldn’t help but think about how just a few short years ago, we didn’t know that we would be able to have these miracle babies, and yet, here they were, and my how my life had changed.  We were exhausted and happy – you know the kind of exhausted and happy that tells you that your life is good.

We went to the early morning service, so we go to Sunday school after.  We love our Sunday school class.  It isn’t your typical run of the mill class.  My Dad actually teaches it, and it’s like a small church of its own.  We average about 100 people, of all different ages.  At some point in any of our lives, we have laughed and cried together.  We share stories, laugh with Dad, and learn from each other.  That class has prayed me through so much – when I was diagnosed with RA, when I totaled my car, my divorce.  I will NEVER forget that the timing had just worked out with our first Embryo transfer (when we became pregnant with Isaac) that the Sunday school class was literally praying for us the moment it happened.  Members of our class even drove to Portageville, Missouri to be there for my Dad when my Grandpa passed away.  It’s just that type of class.  It was a typical morning of laughter until we started to share our prayer requests.  A man stood up front and told us about the events that happened just the night before.  

A lady in our class was coming up on the 10th anniversary of losing her husband to a motorcycle accident.  When he died, he left her with four small boys.  As anyone would, she has had a tough time and our class has always tried to be there for her.  This Sunday’s prayer request came from a text she had sent out the night before.  Her nephew of three years old had snuck underneath a fence while playing outside and fell into her pool.  They tried to resuscitate him for two hours before they said he was gone.  As I heard the words, it took my heart a moment to process.  A three year old little boy was gone.  Just like that, in the blink of an eye.  A three year old just like my Isaac.  I couldn’t picture the boy at once, but seeing a picture later I recognized the sweet boy Don and I had kept in the nursery before.  There in Sunday school as I listened, I just couldn’t receive it all.  I started to sob.  I wasn’t the only one.  I couldn’t imagine the pain.  The pain for the mother, the pain of the father, the pain of his Aunt.  It could have been Isaac; it could have been any of our children.  She had already been through so much.  My heart was broken for her, and instantly my Easter was transformed from a light hearted fun weekend with the kids, to a gut wrenching – how could I ever take anything with my children for granted again- type of day; The type of day where you hold your kids a lot longer than they would like.  It was a strange feeling next to the juxtaposition of the miracle of the resurrection.  They had hoped for their own Easter miracle, but God had other plans that we just don’t understand. 
 
I kept thinking about Isaac.  We have a small pool in our backyard.  We don’t have a fence, so we drained the water out of it when Isaac started to walk on his own.  One of my worst fears was one of my children drowning.  I am not sure why that stuck out to me as worry any larger than the million other things you need to worry about for the sake of your children, but I would have reoccurring nightmares of seeing Isaac fall into cloudy water and seeing him disappear from my sight before I could jump in after him.  I get sick to my stomach just thinking of it.

Because of my ever growing fear, last summer, I enrolled the kids in an Infant Swim Self-Rescue class.  I had never known anyone who had a drowning affect their own life, but the fear was so great I had to do something.  The classes were expensive, and they were going to be 6 weeks, everyday weekday.  I knew I couldn’t take them so I called my Dad a month before the sign up deadline and asked him to think about it.  I knew it was asking too much of him.  A six week commitment to take a two year old and a six month old to swim classes every morning for six weeks is a lot for anyone, especially someone who never changed a poopy diaper in his entire tenure as a father.

But my Dad, being as awesome as he is, and I’m sure hearing the desperation in my voice, said that he would do it.  I cannot thank him enough.  Eliza pooped in her diaper before swim class every day for 6 weeks, and sometimes while she was in the pool and the instructor would hand her back to Dad to change again.  The first day, I called when I knew they should be on the way back to school and could hear Isaac whining and Eliza screaming.  Dad had to pull over, run the bottle into a gas station to microwave it (since Miss Sassy Pants won’t drink it cold), and stand in the parking lot holding it for her as she drank the entire thing.  There is another reason why I am so glad that Dad did it.  I’m not sure I could have.  I remember seeing the videos of how these swim classes go.  She was going to let my babies go in the water.  There in front of me, and now in front of Dad, my worst fear was going to take place in front of my eyes.  Of course, every precaution is taken, and the instructor was a total pro, but it still doesn’t take away that instinct that you have to immediately jump in the pool, clothes and all, when you see your child going under.  I asked Dad to record their lessons since I couldn’t be there.  Isaac and Eliza both cried the entire time, and I did too.  They cried most of the time, because they were learning something hard and new.  Several times I thought of stopping the lessons because I was afraid it could hurt them emotionally.  The instructor explained that they had done several psychological studies on the process, all showing that even though the babies seemed in distress and afraid, they were crying as an expression of having to learn something unfamiliar.  That, and my reoccurring nightmares, kept them going.  I took them on Fridays when I could get off of work, and it was really hard to watch.  But as time went by, Isaac, whose first instinct was to suck water into his mouth as soon as he went under, could now float on his back and swim under the water.  I was amazed to see that a baby as small as Eliza could now float on her back.  I knew their graduation was approaching because they were getting better.  Their graduation required them to be decked out in their thickest wintery clothes – shoes and all, and to then be thrown into the pool to assess if they would be able to survive. 

Of course, the instructor knew they were ready.  She had done this a million times and had grown to know each little intricate part of Isaac and Eliza’s strengths and weaknesses.  But again, seeing my babies, my heart, my everything, being heaved into a pool with all of their clothes on was a feeling you can’t be prepared for as a mother.  I held my breath the entire time.  Isaac jumped into the deep end on his own.   It looked as if he was sinking to the bottom when he started to kick up to the top.  I was on the edge of the pool, literally about to jump in, blue from holding my own breath, when he jerked his head back and floated like he was taught to do.  Thank you God.  With Eliza, the feeling was the same except a little worse.  It just doesn’t seem natural that a small baby like that could float, especially with all of that extra weight.  I could barely lift Isaac out of the pool with the weight of all of his water soaked clothes.

My Ellie bug, being a water baby herself was smiling and looking around when the instructor flipped her in the air into the water.  To know that they could survive was the point.  The stun and shock of falling into the water was a real thing to deal with.  Eliza kicked her way to the top just like her big brother and rolled over onto her back to breath until someone came to her rescue.  


The first thing I did the Monday after Easter was sign them up for a refresher course for the summer.  As hard as it was to go through it with them, I needed to know that they could survive.  Will it mean that I never have to deal with the pain this poor sweet family at church has to deal with?  It doesn’t guarantee that.  Like I said, it could have been anyone, and here lately I am even more convinced that those types of accidents are sometimes very hard to prevent.  It is impossible to foresee any and everything out there that can hurt our children, and it’s enough to make any parent crazy with fear.  Just yesterday, I got Isaac out of the car at home and went around the other side to get Eliza out.  While in the midst of doing so, I heard Isaac screaming from the back of the car.  He had decided to grab the exhaust pipe of my car.  Just like that.  I couldn’t have seen it coming.  Just the day before, he decided to lick the side of Don’s truck.  I mean we just never know.  But I do know this.  I have seen my children faced with the same situation and know what to do.  I can only pray that if the situation ever occurs they will react in the same way.  Also on that Monday morning I wrote an email to my kids swim instructor Candice.  I told her what happened that weekend and that I could never be grateful enough for what she had taught my children.   That there was no measure of how many children’s lives were saved or changed by what she was doing.  If only I could shout it from the rooftops.  I know it’s a big commitment and I know it’s expensive and that it isn’t possible for every family.  I also know that for me, the nightmares have lessened and I have hope that my kids could survive where there would have been no hope before.  To me that’s big.  

So please everybody, squeeze your little ones a little longer tonight, and embarrass them by telling them how much they mean to you, and thank God that you have them if you do.  Also, please say a prayer for those who don’t.

For more information on the Infant Swim Self- Rescue, you can go to the ISR Self Rescue Survival Swim website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS